Friday, June 26, 2009

Suddenly Skirting

My First Skirt: Panels Pinned & Laid Out
Skirt Pieces: Pinned & Laid Out

I've been tossing around the idea of making a skirt for the Clockwork Ball this Friday (tonight) night. Initially, I wanted to make something long and drapey. Then I sudden decided yesterday I should veer far far away from my original plan and make a lolita skirt.

This is the first skirt I've ever sewn from scratch, but I'm not just making it up as I go (though I'm doing that a little) - I'm basing it partially on this awesome victorian skirt tutorial and a skirt I have from In the Starlight. The rule is I'm only using materials I have on hand (including a black zipper that I'd ripped out of a skirt I was getting rid of). So far, it's coming out ok, though I had to rip out the zipper once, and it still looks funky the way I have it.

For reference, the decorative fabric is leftover from a table runner project, and the red is ... I don't know, maybe leftovers from Will's Zukko costume?

If you want more images, click on the one above - I'll update as it progresses. Right now, I'm sewing the panels together in a RACE AGAINST TIME! (I have a backup outfit planned, just in case.)

No comments: