Thursday, April 21, 2011

Felted Brooches

Queen Bee - Felt & Embroidery
After working on quilts for a few weeks and being sick, I wanted to work on some smaller projects that could give me that immediate gratification that I've been missing. Being sick also limits my energy, which quilting takes a surprising amount of.

I have a ton of random wool roving so I just started playing with it to see what would come up. I did the Queen Bee based on a wax seal that I have, using lots of different types of embroidery stitches. The felt cupcake is just a regular feature:
Felt Cupcake - Always
I did a set of felt cupcakes awhile ago, and it's just so fun to make them all different colors and decorate them (like real cupcakes, except they don't get eaten!)
Pink and Red Cupcake Brooch / Pin

Finally, I've been sort of obsessed with fiddlehead ferns for the past week, ever since I went hiking out at Umstead Park and saw a ton of them. I had no idea that they were common locally, and now that I've looked them up online, I had no idea that people ate them. I bet they look really cool on a plate!
Fiddlehead Fern Brooch - Embroidery

One of the things I do when I'm playing around is check out etsy.com for some inspiration, and I found plenty. Especially designedbyjane. The embroidery and colors are just gorgeous, and they sell for so very little! Check this out:

Very inspiring work indeed! It just makes me want to make more stuff and actually use all of the ridiculous amounts of embroidery thread and beads that I have!

If you have any places that you look for project inspiration, please share!

2 comments:

Marg said...

So beautiful! :>

nck said...

I just surf . Usually stick a word in there about something, like "freeform embroidery" and see what comes up. I use either Google or go to Flickr.
I find that something in one medium will inspire me to do a project in another medium. So the inspiration isn't necessarily from the same medium.