Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Bleach pens are Awesome!

Bleach Pen Experiment: Starting - Beginning to Draw the Lines
Drawing Begins with Bleach Pen
Yesterday I broke out my Clorox Bleach Pen (from Target) and got to work finally doing some bleach drawing. I had a lot of fun doing this, and it was so easy that I worry for all the rest of my tshirts now.

Bleach Pen Experiment: Bleaching!
Letting the Bleach Sit and Bleach
Essentially, I just put some wax paper in the shirt (to keep the bleach from bleeding through) then I drew whatever I wanted on the shirt (in this case, circuitboard design). I kept watch over it while it developed/bleached/verbed. It only took about 15 minutes total for this shirt, since I've washed and worn it several times. I checked the development by looking on the inside of the shirt and seeing how the inside of the bleachening looked.

Once it got to the point where I was happy with the color, I just rinsed it out in the sink, then washed it in the washer. I dried it and it's done. It doesn't even smell like bleach, and I don't have to worry about it getting washed with other things, since I rinsed and washed it.

Bleach Pen Experiment: Finished - Plain Shirt vs. Bleached
Unbleached and Bleached
The pink color was a happy accident - I had no idea what color this would bleach to. For me, it's not the design that's an issue, but finding tshirts that I actually like and fit. I bought two of these at H&M so I could do a design on one of them, and then be okay if I messed it up and have a bonus shirt. Planning!

So, this is so dang easy! I actually checked a few tutorials online, just to make sure I wasn't doing something crazy, and here's my favorite (in case this isn't enough to nudge you into experimenting):
- I am Momma, Hear me Roar Bleach Pen Tutorial
Bleach Pen Experiment: Finished - Circuitry Closeup
Crappy Closeup!

I encourage you to try it out! Or not, you know, whatever. I'm working on some more shirts and combining a few different techniques, so we'll see how that turns out (hopefully tomorrow). Until then, <3!

2 comments:

Marg said...

This is SO COOL!!! I love your art, and I have to say it: I miss you.

Leah Riley said...

Aww, thanks on all counts. I miss you too!